Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Former School of Jurisprudence

 
 
The Former School of Jurisprudence Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 4, 2017
1. The Former School of Jurisprudence Marker
Inscription.
Antigua Escuela de Jurisprudencia.
Aquí estuvo el Antiguo Convento de Santa Catalina de Siena; tras su demolición se construyó este edificio que entre 1908 y 1954 albergó a la Escuela Nacional de Jurisprudencia. Forma parte del patrimonio universitario, vinculado a la extensión académica de la Facultad de Derecho.

English translation:
Former School of Jurisprudence.
Here was the Old Convent of Santa Catalina de Siena; After its demolition this building was built, which from 1908 to 1954 housed the National School of Jurisprudence. It is part of the University’s heritage, as it is linked to the Faculty of Law’s academic extension.

 
Location. 19° 26.197′ N, 99° 7.881′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker is on Calle San Ildefonso just west of 3ra Calle del Carmen, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México 06000, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Seminary of San Ildefonso (within shouting distance of this marker); House of Luis de Castilla (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Francisco Javier Clavijero (about
The Former School of Jurisprudence Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 4, 2017
2. The Former School of Jurisprudence Marker
The marker is to the right of the entrance seen in this view.
120 meters away); Pedestrian Bridge over the Templo Mayor (about 210 meters away); Cuauhtémoc's Last Message (about 210 meters away); Ignacio Luis Vallarta (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); House of Juan Engel (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Dr. Antonio Marquez G. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
 
Regarding The Former School of Jurisprudence. The university mentioned in the marker text is the National Autonomous University of Mexico (la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México).
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation
 
The Former School of Jurisprudence image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 4, 2017
3. The Former School of Jurisprudence
This is an additional view of the corner of the building, further to the west from the marker.
An additional marker near the Former School of Jurisprudence image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 4, 2017
4. An additional marker near the Former School of Jurisprudence
In front (or south) of the school is this additional marker at the base of a flagpole, it reads:

Sria. Seg. Publica Dir. Gral. Actos
Como homenaje a nuesto labaro patrio, simbolo de union del pueblo mexicano, como objetivo su seguridad y nuestro compromiso.
¡Mexico!
Agrupamiento Unidad Especial

English translation:
Secretariat of Public Security – Public Affairs Office
As a tribute to our national flag, symbol of unity for the Mexican people, your security is our objective and our commitment.
Mexico!
Group of Special Units
Additional markers on the School of Jurisprudence image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 4, 2017
5. Additional markers on the School of Jurisprudence
On the corner of the building are these two additional markers. The one towards the top indicates that the building was designed and constructed by Engineer Salvador Echagaray. The second, green marker is one of a series that have been put up around the historic center of Mexico City, with quotes from famous literature, usually about the city. This marker reads:
Ciudad de México
Centro Histórico
¡Oh ciudad rica, pueblo sin segundo,
más lleno de tesoros y bellezas
que de peces y arena el mar profundo!
Bernardo de Balbuena
de Grandeza Mexicana, Año 1604, Siglo XVII

English translation:
Mexico City, Historic Center
Oh beautiful city, a town without compare,
more full of treasures and beauty,
than the deep sea has fish and sand!
Bernardo de Balbuena, de Grandeza Mexicana, 1604, 17th century
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4. submitted on December 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5. submitted on December 13, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement