Near Vanderpool in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Taylor School
Founded 1883, named for Henry Taylor. He, Gid Thompson and other early settlers gave land and founded school. First trustees were D. Harper, H. Kennedy, H. Taylor. First one-room frame building had homemade desks and recitation benches.
After it burned, two more were built before consolidation with Utopia, 1937. Miss Sue Harper, Frank Robinson, and “Miss Mattie” Noel listed among outstanding teachers. This was community center; weekly literary society, Sunday school, church met here. This marker given by and in memory of former pupils.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4862.)
Location. 29° 39.248′ N, 99° 32.498′ W. Marker is near Vanderpool, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 187 0.3 miles north of West Sabinal Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in pull-out on west side of highway. Marker is in this post office area: Vanderpool TX 78885, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain John Coffee Hays (approx. 10 miles away).
Also see . . . Taylor School.
In the diary of Jobie Anglin, he tells how the school got along money-wise. Anglin, as (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.