Carizzo Springs in Dimmit County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dimmit County Courthouse
Named for one of the framers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, Dimmit County was created from four other counties in 1858. The county was formally organized in 1880, and Carrizo Springs was chosen as the county seat.
On November 12, 1883, the county commissioners court chose noted architect Alfred Giles to design a permanent courthouse for Dimmit County. Later that month, on November 26, the court reversed its decision and selected J.C. Breeding & Sons of San Antonio to act as both architects and builders. Probably working from Giles' initial plans, they erected a structure which featured a double gallery porch. The building's cubical form and Italianate detailing resemble Giles' designs for other Texas courthouses erected about the same time.
By the 1920s, the thriving Dimmit County needed a larger government facility. The commissioners court called in Henry T. Phelps to design an expansion. At Phelps' instruction, the San Antonio Construction Company demolished the north second story wall, removing exterior rock from the lower north and south walls and adding new, longer wings on each end. As was his custom, Phelps worked along a Classical Revival plan, requiring a symmetrical façade. He relocated the main entrance to the west side of the building, highlighting it with four massive columns and a
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commision. (Marker Number 12348.)
Location. 28° 31.33′ N, 99° 51.616′ W. Marker is in Carizzo Springs, Texas, in Dimmit County. Marker is on North 5th Street north of Pena Street (U.S. 277), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of subject courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 North 5th Street, Carrizo Springs TX 78834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burleson Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Zavala County (approx. 11.1 miles away); Crystal City Family Internment Camp, World War II (approx. 11.9 miles away); World War II Concentration Camp (approx. 11.9 miles away); World War II Enemy Alien Internment Confinement Site - History of Crystal City Family Internment Camp (approx. 11.9 miles away); Living and Working in an Internment Camp (approx. 12 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Dimmit County Courthouse – Carrizo Springs.
The original 1884 Italianate courthouse by Bredding and Sons was enclosed by the 1926 Classical Revival design by Henry T. Phelps. The exterior rough-cut sandstone was retained from the original courthouse. The restoration of the courthouse included a new electrical system, repairs to the cornice, and paint restoration on three vault doors. (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of Dimmit County.
Dimmit County, which was established in 1858, was named after a former Pennsylvanian adventurer, Philip Dimmitt, who moved to Texas prior to the Texas Revolution. He was a captain during the war and continually fought for Texas independence. Dimmitt never received any credit for what he had so dearly fought for, so someone finally thought to recognize his service by naming a new county after him. However, nobody could remember how to spell his name correctly so they dropped a “t” and spelled it Dimmit. (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Images for Dimmit County, Texas
images of both the 1884 (Italianate) and 1926 (Classic Revival) courthouses (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.