The Flying Horse
The Flying Horse sits on the St Giles Circus crossroads where Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, Charing Cross Road and New Oxford Street meet.
St Giles Circus was once the location of the gallows until the 15th century and was also the area that the Great Plague started in 1665.
St. Giles became one of the most popular saints in the West of lepers, beggars, cripples, and of those struck by sudden misery.
In its early days regulars of The Flying Horse, then called The Tottenham, were theatregoers from the nearby Tottenham Street Theatre an auditorium that was once London's finest music hall. The three curvaceous ladies on the pub walls were painted by Felix de Jong, the leading decorative artist in music hall.
Erected by Nicholson's Freehouse.
Location. 51° 30.989′ N, 0° 7.845′ W. Marker is in City of Westminster, England, in Greater London County. Marker is at the intersection of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road on Oxford Street
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Seacole (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Charles Kitterbell (about 120 meters away); Tin Pan Alley (about 180 meters away); Augustus Siebe (about 180 meters away); Topham and Lady Diana Beauclerk (about 210 meters away); Anthony Hope (about 210 meters away); Thomas Hodgkin (about 210 meters away); Thomas Wakley (about 210 meters away).
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.