Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
Organized June 13, 1892, as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, by The Rev. W.W. Werner, with seven charter members.
In 1906 original church body joined the Abilene Presbytery, Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.
Congregation moved from its first location (Ave. Q and 26th) in 1924. Used basement at Avenue R and 28th Street for worship until sanctuary was completed in 1929.
Leaded stained glass memorial windows honor small, dedicated congregation who built this church. Bell, forged in 1902 and still used regularly, came from white frame church of 1904.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1820.)
Location. 32° 42.861′ N, 100° 55.03′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue R and 28th Street, on the right when traveling north on Avenue R. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of subject building, on left side of main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2712 Avenue R, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church (within shouting Scurry County Jail of 1912 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Snyder (about 400 feet away); Site of Sanitarium of Alonzo Orrin Scarborough (about 600 feet away); Site of Store of William Henry "Pete" Snyder (about 600 feet away); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (about 700 feet away); Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (about 700 feet away); The Press in Snyder (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. Texas Historic Landmark (1969)
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on December 16, 2017.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 14, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.