Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Union Paciﬁc Depot
The routing of major east-west rail lines through Pendleton completed coast-to-coast in 1884, assured the town's growth into a regional economic center. Location of the lines, several blocks south of the early center of town, along Court Street, spurred the development of the area now designated as the South Main Street Commercial Historic District. Hotels and businesses sprang up to serve rail passengers as well as local ranchers coming to town to ship their farm products. Later, as rail travel declined, the historic district was somewhat neglected and buildings nearer the depot less remodeled than those in the older parts of the city, many of which have entirely lost their historic appearances.
Erected by City of Pendleton.
Location. 45° 40.15′ N, 118° 47.216′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Southwest Frazer Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Byrd School (within shouting distance of this marker); Pendleton Oregon Trail Kiosk (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowman Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ferguson Building (about 400 feet away); Matlock - Brownfield Bldg (about 500 feet away); The Empire Block (about 500 feet away); Masonic Hall Building (about 500 feet away); Hendricks Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.