Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

First Methodist Church

 
 
First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. First Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. In 1871, six Methodist members met at the 1869 wooden Courthouse on Main Street to hold what is believed to be the first Protestant service in Pendleton. After meeting at various locations around town and in homes, the founding congregation built their original church in the 200 block of SE 3rd Street during a friendly race with the Episcopalians in 1875. They lost the race - and in some ways suffered for their hasty construction - for their next door neighbor was a brewery. The brewery operated seven days a week and the stiff smells of the beer making process was difficult to ignore during church services. In September of 1906, the corner stone was laid for their new church on 2nd street and the old church was sold to W.O. Roesch for $2,800 to use as a warehouse for the brewery. The new church cost $30,000 and was constructed of "tuff" stone from Peasant Valley outside of Baker City, Oregon. The architect was Morrison H. Vail, and John Horn was the general contractor. The stone cost $1500, and the brick from the Weston Brickyard Company cost $90. The church was occupied in 1907. An octagonal bell towner rises on the southwest corner of the building and has eight, covered, lancet openings in its belfry and is surmounted by an octagonal cone roof. Most of the window bays are Gothic Style. Major restoration and renovation recently occurred
First Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. First Methodist Church and Marker
to preserve the stained glass windows. The building suffered two major fires - one in 1954 and one in 1977. In 2004, the stained glass windows were restored and preserved.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.285′ N, 118° 47.06′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is at the intersection of Southeast 2nd Street and Southeast Emigrant Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Southeast 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 352 Southeast 2nd Street, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple-Martin Building (about 500 feet away); Aura Goodwin Raley (about 500 feet away); Columbia Hotel (about 600 feet away); Hendricks Building (about 600 feet away); Rivoli Theater (about 600 feet away); Griggs & Tryon Bldg (about 600 feet away); Frazier Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings
 
First Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
3. First Methodist Church
First Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
4. First Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement