Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Snyder

 
 
First Baptist Church of Snyder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
1. First Baptist Church of Snyder Marker
Inscription. Founded in May, 1883, one year before Scurry County was organized, this pioneer institution helped pave the way for modern Baptist worship in the area. It was originally named Bledsoe Baptist Church, in honor of John S. Bledsoe, one of the founders.

First pastor, The Rev. J. G. Garrard, served 1883-1890. Worship was then held in the school building on alternate Sundays. On December 8, 1892, members of the congregation voted to change their name to The First Baptist Church of Snyder.

Lot 4 of Block 14 in the original Snyder townsite was purchased in 1892 and has since remained the site of four consecutive church buildings. The first structure was a one-story frame 40 x 60 foot building with a bell tower. In 1914 it was replaced with a large frame tabernacle. This structure had sliding windows which opened to admit cool breezes.

In 1922 the tabernacle was replaced with a two-story, yellow brick building. Additional property on the west side was bought and a pastor's home built.

The fourth sanctuary was built in 1951 on the former site of the pastor's house (now another location). Present building complex includes the 1922 church (remodeled) and 1958 education plant.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1677.)
First Baptist Church of Snyder Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
2. First Baptist Church of Snyder Marker

 
Location. 32° 42.911′ N, 100° 54.967′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of 27th Street and Avenue Q, on the left when traveling east on 27th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 27th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Site of Sanitarium of Alonzo Orrin Scarborough (about 500 feet away); Site of Store of William Henry "Pete" Snyder (about 500 feet away); Site of The MacKenzie Trail (about 500 feet away); Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (about 700 feet away); The Press in Snyder (about 700 feet away); Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
First Baptist Church of Snyder image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
3. First Baptist Church of Snyder
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.