Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Rohrman Bakery

 
 
Rohrman Bakery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Rohrman Bakery Marker
Inscription. This single-story Italianate Commercial building was constructed in 1890. The original owner/builder was Jeremiah Despain. His house stood in the east lot next door. For many years, it housed Rohrman's Bakery, which was one of the first bakeries in Pendleton. Mr. Charles Rohrman first opened a shop in the LaDow Block across the street and sold baked goods, glassware, and china of many years before moving into this building.
This brick building is 29' wide by 97' deep, with an alleyway on the west side. The east wall's original painted signage can be seen inside the Haw Building next door. There is brick corbelling with a crest panel in the center of the front parapet. This building has remained essentially intact since it was built and serves as a good example of simple Italianate commercial buildings built in Pendleton during the era.
By 1932 the building was the home of the Sunlite Bakery. The front half of the building (sales room) has wooden floors while the back half (oven area) has concrete floors. Many businesses including a mechanical shop, the Pendleton Memorial Hospital Auxiliary second hand store, an antique store, and a tanning salon have operated from this location.
In 2008-2009, the building received restoration work through a Façade Restoration Grant from the Pendleton Development Commission. New glass
Rohrman Bakery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Rohrman Bakery and Marker
and restoration of transom-window panels, repointed brick, paint removal from the brick, and the addition of the name Rohrman Bakery, 1890 to the parapet crest were part of the restoration.
224 SE Court Avenue • Historical Name: Rohrman Backery • Style: Italianate Commercial • D.O.C. 1890 • Register: L
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.399′ N, 118° 47.103′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on Southeast Court Avenue near Southeast 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224 Southeast Court Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Haw Building (a few steps from this marker); LaDow Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodmen of the World (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); R.F. Renn Building (about 500 feet away); DeSpain Block (about 500 feet away); Judd Block (about 600 feet away); The Peoples Warehouse (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement