Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Peoples Warehouse

 
 
The Peoples Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. The Peoples Warehouse Marker
Inscription. "The People's Warehouse" was known as Pendleton's Greatest Department Store in its heyday at the turn of the century. The People's Warehouse Store began operation in the building located on the Northwest corner of Main and Court. By 1915 the store had moved to this building. It was originally a single story structure, but after a major fire nearly gutted the store in 1915, it was remodeled and enlarged. This brick edifice had been covered over by layers of modernization over the years. In 2006-2007, a massive reconstruction was completed to return the Main Street façade back to its original look using old photographs as reference. Layers of brick were removed to expose the original design, and then it was painstakingly rebuilt and restored.
This entire block had been given to Umatilla County by Moses and Aura Goodwin as the site of the original County Courthouse. The wooden courthouse stood in the center of this 2 1/2 acre block when it was constructed in 1869, and the town well was located in the courthouse yard. In 1878, a diphtheria outbreak in town was blamed on that well. By 1888, the county had outgrown the modest wooden structure and began construction of a new courthouse in the block that the Goodwin's had donated for use as a college (the block between SE 4th and 5th and Court and Dorion Avenues). The county sold off
The Peoples Warehouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. The Peoples Warehouse and Marker
The marker is to the left of the entry.
building lots and the old courthouse building to help pay for the new courthouse.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.354′ N, 118° 47.234′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on South Main Street near Southeast Court Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 South Main Street, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milarkey Building (a few steps from this marker); State Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Judd Block (within shouting distance of this marker); R.F. Renn Building (within shouting distance of this marker); DeSpain Block (within shouting distance of this marker); George Fletcher (within shouting distance of this marker); Kathleen McClintock 1907-1998 (within shouting distance of this marker); Club Cigar Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 21, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement