Port Allen High School (1936-1978) / Port Allen Middle School (1979-Present)
High school opportunities in the parish date to at least 1897, when Eureka Central School in Brusly offered classes to white students in the ninth, tenth, and later eleventh grades. In 1899, the West Baton Rouge School Board made plans for three high schools, Duvall, Port Allen and Brusly. Eventually two of the three high schools were established and were open to white students. The first Port Allen High School opened in 1920. The principal was Miss Amelia Stevens who was in charge of the two-story brick building, which included seven classrooms for grades first through eleventh. The original Port Allen High School was located on the south side of Rosedale Road at N. Jefferson Avenue. In 1949, Cohn High School was opened for African American students in West Baton Rouge Parish and initially offered grades seventh through twelfth.
During the nation's Great Depression (1929-1939), President Roosevelt established New Deal programs, including the Public Works Administration (PWA) to provide jobs to the unemployed masses. In West Baton Rouge Parish, three school buildings were completed in 1938, Port Allen High School (Federal Emergency Administration Public Works Project No. LA 1055-D) and Brusly High School and Gymnasium. The new Port Allen High School building was built directly across Rosedale Road facing the old brick school. The
Port Allen High School was constructed on ten acres of land purchased from Homestead Plantation. The proceeds of a parish wide bond issue and a grant from the PWA funded the project. The designs were done by the Bodman and Murrell Architects and the construction was carried out by Caldwell Brothers and Hart Contractors. In 1941, a music room, and industrial arts shop, and a janitor's home were added to the campus. Soon after, in 1947, a football field was added, and in 1957 a classroom building was added, which for a time served as a Port Allen Junior High. Additional classrooms, science laboratories and a new lunchroom were later constructed.
Two West Baton Rouge Parish high schools were integrated over the course of ten years. In 1965, one African American student enrolled in Brusly High. In 1968, a select group of eight African American students from Cohn High School enrolled at Port Allen High School as the first steps towards desegregating the high schools. In 1969, Cohn High School was closed and the African American student body was integrated into Brusly and Port Allen High Schools. In 1978, a new Brusly High School and in 1979 a new Port Allen High School opened to accommodate fully integrated student populations.
This building is best known for its outstanding Art Deco design.
Erected by Port Allen Rotary Club.
Location. 30° 27.812′ N, 91° 12.439′ W. Marker is in Port Allen, Louisiana, in West Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Rosedale Road (State Road 986) and North Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Rosedale Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Rosedale Road, Port Allen LA 70767, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port Allen Prisoner-Of-War Sub-Camp No. 7 (approx. ¼ mile away); Third Parish Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile Gear from Cinclare Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); West Baton Rouge Parish Bicentennial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mississippi River (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mississippi River Old Ferry Landing (approx. 0.8 miles away); Louisiana Purchase - West Baton Rouge Early History (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sunrise (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Allen.
Categories. • Architecture • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 23, 2017.