Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

First Christian Church

 
 
First Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. First Christian Church Marker
Inscription. Completed to replace the congregations' first church building that had been destroyed by fire in August, 1908, this structure was built to withstand time and elements. This site was purchased from W.F. Matlock and selected because its was out of the "high risk" fire area but still close to the main part of town. The architectural firm of Chapman and Chapman designed the Romanesque Style structure. The stone used is called "tuff" or "tuffa" and is from a quarry in Baker County near Pleasant Valley. It was formed by ancient volcanic ash expelled by the same volcanic action that formed the layered basalt exposed throughout the Columbia River Gorge. The stone had to be shipped by rail to Pendleton, then loaded into horse drawn wagons and carefully brought over the old wooden Main Street Bridge, which could barely support a loaded wagon at that time. The stone was cut and placed by the Monterastelli Brothers Stonemasons of Pendleton. The church cost over $43,000 to build and was dedicated on March 20, 1910, though not all the rooms were yet completed.
Romanesque features are the round topped door and window bays, the crenellated towers and the Palladian style window in the South gable end. Originally, stairs descended on both the South and East side of the main entrance, as shown in the photo, but were replaced due to the steepness and
First Christian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. First Christian Church and Marker
The marker is on the outside of the stairway.
the widening of the street. Even now, this historic church building continues to be used by a variety of civic organizations and groups for meetings and events.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.466′ N, 118° 47.347′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Northwest Bailey Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North Main Street, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carnegie Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowman Studio (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Donald C. Requa (about 400 feet away); Jackson Sundown (about 600 feet away); Chief Clarence T. Burke (about 600 feet away); Club Cigar Saloon (about 600 feet away); Judd Block (about 700 feet away); DeSpain Block (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
First Christian Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
3. First Christian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement