College Grove Baptist Church
The church was built in the Gothic Revival Style and exemplifies the style's basic elements: a central aisle, a three-sided apse, and modified lancet windows and doors. The windows are of painted, rather than stained, glass, which was a custom more economically feasible for poor congregations.
This church provided a haven for many congregations and was originally located at College Point, La. The last congregation to use the church was the College Grove Baptist Association under the Reverend John H. Johnson. Originally formed in 1893, this congregation used the building until the 1960's. Area residents, many of them ex-slaves on the Welham Plantation, attended services here. The building was moved to the museum in 1973.
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 13.)
Location. 30° 24.655′ N, 91° 6.858′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Road 3064) south of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Uncle Jack (a few steps from this marker); Cemetery
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on January 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2018.