Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ellicott City Station, 1831
The B&O Railroad Museum
The main building was the original terminus of the first 13 miles of commercial rail operated in the United States and it is the oldest surviving railroad station in America. It served as a freight and produce depot until passenger facilities were added in 1856-1857. The B&O ceased passenger service to Ellicott City in 1949 and freight service in 1972; however, modern freight trains still pass through Ellicott City. Today the complex operates as a museum interpreting the history of the depot and the lives of people who lived, worked and traveled through its historic walls.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. 39° 16.03′ N, 76° 47.696′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3711 Maryland Avenue, Ellicott City MD 21043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Turntable & Track (a few steps from this marker); To Preserve the Union (within shouting distance of this marker); The Phoenix Emporium (within shouting distance of this marker); Road Versus Rails (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); B&O Railroad Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone Tavern House (within shouting distance of this marker); “Great Panes” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lauman House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ellicott City.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Ellicott City Station, 1831.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 4, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.