Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ruch in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Ruch

1976

 
 
Ruch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, April 6, 2013
1. Ruch Marker
Inscription. Casper M. Ruch started the Ruch settlement at this cross roads site between Crescent City and Jacksonville in 1896. On ten acres purchased from J.M. McDonough be built a home, blacksmith shop, warehouse, dance hall, store, and smoke house, curing the meat he sold.

A school district known as Log Town No. 3, organized in 1863, later became Drake School, then Ruch School by 1897. The property was donated by James D. Buckley from his 350 acre land grant. Ruch post office existed from 1897 to 1939 with "Cap" Ruch and his wife, Anna, as postmaster.
 
Erected 1976 by Southern Oregon Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 14.215′ N, 123° 2.471′ W. Marker is in Ruch, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Upper Applegate Rd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville OR 97530, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old “Tack Room” (approx. 6.1 miles away); Rich Gulch (approx. 6.3 miles away); Bozo the Clown (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Britt House: Simple Frame to Cottage Gothic (approx. 6 miles away); Britt Sequoia
Ruch Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, April 6, 2013
2. Ruch Post Office
(approx. 6 miles away); City Hall (approx. 6 miles away); China Quarter (approx. 6 miles away); World War II Three Trees Memorial (approx. 6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker located in the Ruch Visitor Center parking lot
 
Regarding Ruch. A now-defunct website contained additional history on Ruch and tells us: "Ruch is an unincorporated community in Jackson County, Oregon, United States. It is located on Oregon Route 238 (the Jacksonville Highway), southeast of Grants Pass. Ruch was named for Casper M. Ruch, who bought a tract of land where the community now stands in 1896. He built a blacksmith shop, a store and a house. When he was appointed postmaster of the new post office in 1897 and allowed to name it, he named it after himself. The post office closed in 1939. The Ruch area is home to several wineries and is in the Applegate Valley AVA, a sub-appellation of the Rogue Valley AVA (American Viticultural Area). Ruch is also the site of the annual Rat Race paragliding competition. There are two structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Ruch—McKee Bridge and Star Ranger Station."
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Ruch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, April 6, 2013
3. Ruch Marker
Casper Ruch image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, April 6, 2013
4. Casper Ruch
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement