Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Terra Ceia in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Terra Ceia School/Village Improvement Association Hall

 
 
Terra Ceia School side of marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, November 25, 2017
1. Terra Ceia School side of marker
Inscription. (side 1)
Terra Ceia School

The first school on Terra Ceia was held in the parlor of the W.H. Abel home on Bayshore Drive. In 1894, residents built a wooden one-room schoolhouse here on Center Road. It was designed and built by Captain Charles F. Hobart who donated the land for the building and constructed it based on the model for the new York State rural schoolhouses, which he designed. Hobart also dug the artesian well used for the school. Meetings of the VIA were held in this small building until the Hall was constructed. In 1912, the School Board purchased additional land to the north from James and Elizabeth Anderson and built a four-classroom brick school building which was used until 1948. The building burned in the 1970s, but the foundation remains under the residence located to the north of this marker.

(side 2)
Village Improvement Association Hall

In May 1901, a group of nine Terra Ceia island women organized a Women's Club, which became one of the first to be established in Florida. The goal of this club called the Terra Ceia Village Improvement Association (V.I.A.) was to improve and beautify the island of Terra Ceia. Club members paved streets with shell, installed a cistern and library for the Terra Ceia School and hired a janitor for the school. This
Village Improvement Association Hall side of marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, November 25, 2017
2. Village Improvement Association Hall side of marker
property was purchased in March of 1905. Ice cream socials, boating excursions, picnics, oyster suppers, bazaars and vaudeville entertainment raised funds to purchase the land and build the Hall. Construction began in 1906, and the building was first used on January 10, 1907. During World War II, a look out tower was attached to the northwest corner of the building and manned around the clock to look for enemy aircraft.
 
Erected by Manatee County Historical Society.
 
Location. 27° 34.376′ N, 82° 34.861′ W. Marker is in Terra Ceia, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on Center Road just north of Sunset Lane, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1505 Center Road, Terra Ceia FL 34250, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atzeroth Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rubonia Women's Club (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Memphis Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lincoln Memorial High School (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gillette Community (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Plymouth (approx. 3.8 miles away); Snead Island / Seventh Day Adventist School (approx. 3.9 miles away); The 'Old' Palmetto Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
Terra Ceia School image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, November 25, 2017
3. Terra Ceia School
 The History of Terra Ceia. (Submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement