Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madras in Jefferson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Old Jefferson County Jail

 
 
The Old Jefferson County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, June 21, 2015
1. The Old Jefferson County Jail Marker
Inscription. On April 12, 1915 Jefferson County purchased a jail cell unit from E.T. Barnum Iron Works of Detroit Michigan. It consisted of a steel grating cage with two cells with a front prisoner's corridor. This unit was shipped by rail to the temporary newly built jail in Culver. After Madras became the official county seat it was decided to also relocate the jail to Madras. In 1918 a concrete pad was poured at this location and the cell unit was hauled from Culver and placed on this newly poured pad. This building was then constructed around the cell unit. The concrete wall and roof were mixed on site and carried by bucket up ladders and poured into the forms. Close examination show the horizontal imperfections. These are called cold joints when the workers stopped pouring and then continued the next day. It's estimated that it took 9 days to complete the concrete walls. No estimate on the time it took to pour the roof. In 1937 the Sheriff's department had a solid non see through wood fence installed in the same location as the one you see today to make a private exercise yard for the prisoners. So far no one can recall when the fence disappeared but probably rotted, fell down and hauled away.

The last known prisoners to be housed here was during the infamous trial of Jackson and Freeman in the last part of 1961. When the new jail
The Old Jefferson County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, June 21, 2015
2. The Old Jefferson County Jail Marker
was completed in the basement of the replacement courthouse this facility was abandoned.
 
Location. 44° 38.039′ N, 121° 7.721′ W. Marker is in Madras, Oregon, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Southeast 6th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madras OR 97741, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veteran War Memorial Plaza (approx. 2.3 miles away); Metolius Depot (approx. 4.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Old Jefferson County Jail image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, June 21, 2015
3. The Old Jefferson County Jail
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement