Corvallis in Benton County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
L.G. Kline Building
Kline, a Polish immigrant, came to Corvallis with his wife, Adaline, a Russian immigrant, in 1864. The Klines and their three children sailed from the East coast to Panama, crossed the isthmus and boarded a ship to Portland.
After arriving in Portland, they went by river boat to Oregon city and by wagon to Corvallis. According to daughter Pauline, the first thing Adaline noticed in Corvallis was the schoolhouse. when Lewis suggested continuing south to Monroe, Alaline answered, "I'm going to stay here and send my children to school."
Lewis and Adaline opened a small tailor shop with what may have been the first sewing machine in Corvallis. According to Pauline,
"The shop was on Second Avenue and for four years we lived in a shack in the rear. On one side was a saloon with a dance hall over it. Here the miners coming from the south with their bags of gold dust would stop for such entertainment as the place afforded. We never felt sure when we went to bed at night that we would not be dead by the violence before morning. Father's business prospered and after four years he built a house on North Second Street."
Kline's shop was located on the west side
The first tenant was J.D. Clark's Hardware and Tin Store. Later, it was occupied by Nolan's Gentlemen's Furnishings, (c.1895-1908); Allen's Drug Store (c. 1909-1920s); Berman's Drug Store (c.1920s-1959); and Acme Shoe Store (c 1959-1985). The building remained in the Kline family until 1985, when it was purchased by Les and Barbara Boudreaux, who restored the building, placed it on the National Register of Historic Places, and established their Five Star Sports store.
The building's highly ornate facade of pressed metal is typical of the Victorian-Italianate style. The second-floor windows are separated by pressed metal pilasters imitating Corinthian columns. Above the windows are pressed-metal decorations; the original embossed tin ceiling can be seen inside the store.
An excellent example of Corvallis commercial buildings of the "Railroad era" (1880-1904), the L.G. Kline Building was built just a year after the stately Courthouse (1888) and the same year as the distinguished Administration Building at the Oregon Agricultural College (OSU's Benton Hall.)
Part of the vital commercial and civic neighborhood at second and Madison, the Kline Building was surrounded by
Erected 2004 by Madison Avenue Task Force.
Location. 44° 33.797′ N, 123° 15.647′ W. Marker is in Corvallis, Oregon, in Benton County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwest Madison Avenue and SW 2nd St, on the left when traveling east on Southwest Madison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corvallis OR 97333, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benton County State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Whiteside Theatre (about 400 feet away); Early Town Development (about 500 feet away); River Transport (about 500 feet away); The Opera House (about 500 feet away); Benton County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Capitol of Territorial Oregon (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corvallis.
More about this marker. This historical marker was placed in 2004 by the Madison Avenue Task Force. It is comprised of a volunteer group of citizens whose mission is to provide a walking tour of downtown Corvallis for pedestrians to pause and appreciate Corvallis' history and art. Many historical markers and art objects are strategically placed throughout the walking tour.
Also see . . . Madison Avenue Task Force. (Submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.