How Dartmouth Has Grown
A Marker of Distinction
In August 1750, the 504 ton ship Alderney arrived after a month's sail from England with 353 settlers, who made their first landing near the sawmill site. They laid out 184 building lots, 50 feet by 100, and named the settlement after the Earl of Dartmouth.
From such beginnings Dartmouth grew, with arrivals of Quaker whalers, Irish and Scots stone-masons, and workers in the manufacture of rope, skates, molasses and candy, and in ship repair, world-leading oceanographic research, coastal supply, oil refineries, and the nearby Autoport, Shearwater air station and Burnside Industrial Park. Incorporated as a Town in 1873, thereafter a City in 1961, Dartmouth is now part of the amalgamated Halifax Regional Municipality.
Erected by The Halifax Foundation and Halifax Regional Municipality.
Location. 44° 39.811′ N, 63° 34.122′ W. Marker is in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Touch for map. Marker is in Ferry Terminal Park, about 50 meters SE of the Darmouth Ferry Terminal. Marker is at or near this postal address: 88 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B2Y 4W1, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Starboard Propeller of CCGS John A. Macdonald (a few steps from this marker);
Also see . . .
1. Historic Dartmouth Walking Tour. (Submitted on January 20, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Dartmouth History Blog. (Submitted on January 20, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 20, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.