Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tiller in Douglas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Tiller Ranger Station

 
 
The Tiller Ranger Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2015
1. The Tiller Ranger Station Marker
Inscription.
These buildings, constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the period between 1933 – 1942, are excellent examples of the Depression-era, rustic style of U.S. Forest Service structures.

The building in the upper left was the residence for the District Ranger and his family. The original administrative offices were housed in the structure located in the fore-front. The garage located on the right was built to serve the residence.

Because of their distinctive architecture and good condition, all of these structures have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by U.S. Forest Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 42° 55.576′ N, 122° 56.969′ W. Marker is in Tiller, Oregon, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Tiller Trail Highway (Oregon Route 227) and Avery Berry Loop (Forest Road 1600) when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on a short trail which originates at the Tiller Ranger District Station. Subject buildings are located behind the Tiller Ranger District Station. Marker is at or near this postal
The Tiller Ranger Station Marker (<i>wide view; marker overlooks Ranger Station beyond trees</i>) image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2015
2. The Tiller Ranger Station Marker (wide view; marker overlooks Ranger Station beyond trees)
address: 27812 Tiller Trail Highway, Tiller OR 97484, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Red Mountain Lookout (a few steps from this marker).
 
Also see . . .
1. Tiller Ranger Station.
In the early 20th century, the forest road networks were not well developed. To facilitate work in National Forests, the Forest Service built district ranger stations at strategic locations within the forest to house full-time employees and provide logistics support to fire patrols and project crews working in remote areas of the forest. After World War II, the Forest Service greatly expanded its road network, allowing employees to get to most forest areas within a few hours. The Tiller Ranger Station has continuously served as a district headquarters since it was established. (Submitted on January 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Tiller Ranger Station, Oregon, 1941.
Photograph: West end of Tiller Ranger Station with Southern Oregon Sugar Pine Mill in the background, Tiller, Oregon, 1941. (Submitted on January 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkHorticulture & Forestry
 
Former Ranger Residence image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2015
3. Former Ranger Residence
Former Ranger Residence Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2015
4. Former Ranger Residence Dedication Plaque
Dedicated to the District Rangers responsible for administering the Tiller Ranger District. At various times the District has been split into two units, named So. Umpqua District and Cow Creek District, which accounts for having two rangers during the same time period.


CLARENCE JACKSON 1906 1916
HILLARD M. LILLIGREN 1954-1966
H.U. HANK COCHRAN 1916-1919
LEONARD E. FLOWER 1957-1958
WALTER L. JONES 1920-1924
JOHN 0. WILSON 1958-1987
C. FRANK RITTER 1925-1928
DAVID M. JAY 1967-1968
HUGH A. RITTER 1929-1930
RICHARD R. MARLEGA 1966-1968
EUGENE J. RODGERS 1931-1933
TRUMAN C. PUCHBAUER 1968-1972
AVERY E. BERRY 1934-1944
BRUCE T. MATEER 1972-1978
JOHN R. MONTCOMERY 1945-1948
LEONARD T. HOPE 1979-1984
MILTON ANDREWS 1946-1954
ROY O. BROGDEN 1984-1998
JOHN E. TODD 1954-1956
Former Administrative Office image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2015
5. Former Administrative Office
Former Adminstrative Office Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 2, 2015
6. Former Adminstrative Office Dedication Plaque
This house is dedicated to Ira B. and Eva E. Poole for their distinguished service to the Tiller RD, 1921-1965.
Ira served as a packer, crew foreman, and fire control officer; Eva as a fire lookout, clerk and telephone operator. Their enduring partnership contributed to the early success of the district.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement