Jacksonville in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Old “Tack Room”
... a witness to change
After President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed much of the Applegate River watershed as a National Forest in 1907, Forest Service rangers arrived to manage its resources. During the scorching summer of 1910, Ranger Horace Whitney made do with a miner’s long-abandoned log cabin for shelter at nearby Star Gulch. The following spring, he returned with his new bride and found “two carpenters just completing a one-room, combined office and living quarters in the middle of the alfalfa patch” on the District’s new compound. Whitney’s one-room building - the one standing before you now - was the first administrative headquarters for the new Applegate Ranger District.
The little building proved too cramped to serve as a year-round home. During the next few summers, the District Ranger and his family preferred to “rough it” in a tent; in the winter, they resided in town. In 1914 a two-story ranger’s residence was built on the slope across the Upper Applegate Road. This home also served as the office until the Civilian Conservation Corps
Because of its small size, the original building - demoted from “office” to storage shed - was easily moved to several locations within the station compound over the years. From Word War I until the mid-1940s, long-time District Ranger Lee Port kept his saddles and other horse “tack” in it. Long after the day of the horse-mounted ranger had passed, the structure held tree-marking paint and other supplies to lay out the District's timber sales.
The Applegate Ranger District as witnessed a great deal of change since 1910, when a ranger spent most of his time riding the range in the high country, building trail, and fighting fire. In a small but real way, the old “tack room” has been part of that transformation. Today it serves as a tangible reminder of the early years and of the many changes that have come to the area since then.
Erected by U.S. Forest Service Department of Agriculture.
Location. 42° 9.018′ N, 123° 3.546′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Upper Applegate Rd, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6941 Upper Applegate Rd, Jacksonville OR 97530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Ruch (approx. 6.1 miles away); Rich Gulch (approx. 12 miles away); Bozo the Clown (approx. 12.1 miles away); The Britt House: Simple Frame to Cottage Gothic (approx. 12.2 miles away); City Hall (approx. 12.2 miles away); Britt Sequoia (approx. 12.2 miles away); China Quarter (approx. 12.2 miles away); World War II Three Trees Memorial (approx. 12.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.