Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Acme Spring

 
 
Acme Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, January 28, 2018
1. Acme Spring Marker
Inscription. In 1862, Isaac Lain purchased property on the north side of St. Paul Avenue just west of the intersection with Wisconsin Avenue on a high bluff overlooking the city and the Fox River. Two springs were located on this property.

In 1879, Mr. Lain affixed iron pipes to the outlet of one of his springs to bring water down to the road in order to supply water to the street sprinklers who kept the dust down on the dirt roads.

This spring was known by other names such as Hilltop Mineral Spring and High View Spring, but in 1884 it was referred to as Acme Spring. In 1885, the spring was leased to George Carleton and George Winans, who later purchased it. They established a business called Acme Mineral Spring Company with an office in Chicago to sell water from Acme. In order to do this, pipes were laid between the spring and the railroad tracks next to St. Paul Avenue. A faucet was attached allowing barrels or cans of spring water to be filled and put on the train at 4:00 pm. By 7:00 am the water was in Chicago ready for sale and distribution.

A description of the spring appeared in the company brochure. "The basin has been enlarged and securely walled in, the top entirely covered with large flags of stone, while the only approach is closed by iron doors, securely locked. This prevents any possibility of contamination, either

Acme Spring Marker and spring in background image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, January 27, 2018
2. Acme Spring Marker and spring in background
from natural causes or from malice, something that every open spring may be subject to." This is the original structure.
 
Erected 2018 by City of Waukesha Landmarks Commission.
 
Location. 43° 0.568′ N, 88° 14.411′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Motor Ave. and Mountain Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is at the east end of Motor Ave. as it turns into the parking lot of Mountain Village Apartments on the right as you enter. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 W. North St., Mountain Village Apts. Parking, Waukesha WI 53188, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waukesha Engine Division (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dunbar Oak (approx. ¼ mile away); Prehistoric Indian Mound (approx. 0.3 miles away); Les Paul (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waukesha City - Cutler Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cohn's Shoe Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lindholm Vocational & Adult School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Club 400 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waukesha.
 
Regarding Acme Spring. This is one of a few markers for our Waukesha mineral springs that date to the Springs Era of 1880 to 1910.
Acme Spring image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, circa May 2017
3. Acme Spring
Waukesha was known as the Saratoga of the West.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2018, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2018, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.