Greece in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
World War II
Odenbach Shipbuilding Corp.
built on this site ca. 1942.
produced barges & tankers
for war effort launched via
channel to Lake Ontario.
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 256.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation marker series.
Location. 43° 15.842′ N, 77° 38.809′ W. Marker is in Greece, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Dewey Avenue and Ling Road (County Route 143), on the left when traveling north on Dewey Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rochester NY 14612, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Read & Paddy Hill (approx. one mile away); Paddy Hill School (approx. one mile away); Latta House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse (approx. 2 miles away); Battle of the Bulge (approx. 2 miles away); To Commemorate the Memory of Ira J. Jacobson (approx. 2 miles away); Charlotte Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); 1822 Lighthouse (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greece.
More about this marker.
Regarding World War II. John H. Odenbach owned the Odenbach Shipbuilding Corporation, which broke ground in 1942. At its peak, the plant employed over 1,500 people and produced over fifty coastal tankers and derrick barges before the end of the war in 1945.
In conjunction with the sign unveiling, the Odenbach family graciously gifted the town a large model ship. - Source: Town of Greece website news.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.