Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics
- for the -
Manufacture of Knit Fabrics
Erected in 1843, By Egberts & Bailey
Inventors of the Power Knitting
Machine in 1832.
· · · · ·
Hand operated knitting machines were
invented by Rev. William Lee of England
in 1589 and were condemned by Queen
Elizabeth and the British Parliament.
Constant attempts to apply power to
these machines failed until the
ingenuity of Cohoes inventors solved
From this mill the knitting industy
Erected 1929 by City of Cohoes.
Location. 42° 46.449′ N, 73° 42.134′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Ontario Street (Route 470) and Moose Lane, on the right when traveling east on Ontario Street. Touch for map. There is a metal New York State historical marker standing right beside this marker. Marker is in this post office area: Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Egberts & Bailey Mill (here, next to this marker); Horace B. Silliman Cohoes City Hall (about 600 feet away); The Erie Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Cohoes Mastodont (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cohoes - Waterford Bridge (approx. half a mile away); White Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cohoes Mastodon (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cohoes.
More about this marker. This marker consists of a metal plaque mounted on a large cut stone base.
Also see . . . The Spindle City Historic Society. The City of Cohoes, New York is nicknamed "The Spindle City" due to its great knitting mill heritage. (Submitted on September 11, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Additional keywords. Knitting Mill History Adams Egberts & Bailey England Reverand William Lee
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,526 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.