Astoria in Clatsop County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Site of Original Settlement of Astoria
April 12, 1811
by the thirty-three members of the Astor party who sailed around Cape Horn in the ship Tonquin and established here the famous fur trading post which was the first American settlement west of the Rocky Mountains.
Erected 1924 by Daughters of the American Revolution, Astoria Chapter.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 46° 11.288′ N, 123° 49.637′ W. Marker is in Astoria, Oregon, in Clatsop County. Marker is at the intersection of Exchange Street and 15th Street on Exchange Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1508 Exchange Street, Astoria OR 97103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ranald MacDonald (here, next to this marker); Fort Astoria (a few steps from this marker); Into the Unknown (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gimre's Shoe Store (about 600 feet away); A Waterfront at Work (about 600 feet away); Built by Capt. Hiram Brown Clark Gable (about 700 feet away); 14th Street Ferry Slip (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Astoria.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 1, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.