Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wye Mills in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The “Little House” in the Shade

 
 
The “Little House” in the Shade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
1. The “Little House” in the Shade Marker
Inscription. Once shaded by the might Wye Oak, a quiet brick structure, a story and half high sill stands today.The structure dates back to about 1800 and it is said by local lore to have served as a one-room schoolhouse.

The Queen Anne Garden Club restored the “Little House”, as they affectionately called it, in 1952. The foundation was strengthened, windowpanes repaired, and a walkway laid. The house was furnished as a classic American one-room school­house, though it may have just been a dwelling house. The furnishings included a schoolmaster's desk and stool, a long pine table with benches, and a dunce stool.
 
Erected by The Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
 
Location. 38° 56.37′ N, 76° 4.839′ W. Marker is in Wye Mills, Maryland, in Talbot County. Touch for map. This Marker is in Wye Oak State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14214 Old Wye Mills Road, Wye Mills MD 21679, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wye Oak House (a few steps from this marker); Wye Oak * National Champion White Oak (a few steps from this marker); The Wye Oak (a few steps from this marker); A Glimpse Inside a Giant
The “Little House” in the Shade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
2. The “Little House” in the Shade Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Wye Grist Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Brief History of the Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); So, How Does a Mill Work? (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wye Grist Mill and Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wye Mills.
 
Also see . . .  Wye Oak School. T-57, Maryland Historical Trust Inventory Form for State Historic Sites Survey, 1976. (Submitted on February 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
The “Little House” image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
3. The “Little House”
The “Little House” and the Wye Oak image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
4. The “Little House” and the Wye Oak
Close-up of 1955 A. Aubrey Bodine photo on marker
The Wye Oak and the “Little House” image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
5. The Wye Oak and the “Little House”
Close-up of 1955 A. Aubrey Bodine Photo on marker
Wye Oak House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
6. Wye Oak House
Built about 1720. Said to be second oldest Public School in Talbot County. Restored by The Garden Clubs of Queen Anne’s and Talbot Counties in 1952.
Sign inside Wye Oak House
The Wye Oak image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 21, 2017
7. The Wye Oak
375 Years Old
Dimensions
Diameter 1 Ft. from ground 18' 8"
         4 ½ Ft. from ground 6' 6"
Horizontal Spread 140 1/2’
Height 88’
Largest Limb Diam. 2 1/2’

Detail of photo #4
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 1, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   7. submitted on February 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement