Teylers Fundatiehuis / The Teyler Foundation House
Pieter Teyler van der Hulst (1702-1778).
Bij testament bestemde hij een groot deel
van zijn vermogen voor de bouw van een museum
(ingang Spaarne 16) achter zijn woonhuis.
Gevel met zandstenen platen bekleed.
House of the silk manufacturer Pieter Teyler van der Hulst (1702-1778).
In his will he directed that a large part of his estate be used to build a museum
behind his house (entrance on Spaarne 16).
Erected by The ANWB.
Location. 52° 22.826′ N, 4° 38.354′ E. Marker is in Haarlem, North Holland. Marker is on Damstraat just north of Spaarne, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Damstraat 21, Haarlem, North Holland 2011 HA, Netherlands.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Waag / The Weigh House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Former Synagogue (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Hofje 'In den Groenen Tuin' / Hofje "In the Green Garden" (about 180 meters away); Vishal / "Fish Hall"
Also see . . .
1. Pieter Teyler van der Hulst (Wikipedia). "Pieter Teyler van der Hulst (25 March 1702 – 8 April 1778) was a wealthy Dutch Mennonite merchant and banker, who died childless, leaving a legacy of two million florins (in today's terms: about EUR 80 million) to the pursuit of religion, arts and science in his hometown, that led to the formation of Teyler's Museum. This was not the value of his entire estate. He also founded Teylers Hofje in his name, and made important donations to individuals in the Mennonite community." (Submitted on February 4, 2018.)
2. Fundatiehuis (Teyler) (Wikipedia). (Submitted on February 4, 2018.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.