Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schertz in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Schertz Historic Site

St. Joseph's Chapel

 
 
Schertz Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 15, 2018
1. Schertz Historic Site Marker
Inscription. The original Catholic settlers of Comal Village longed for their own place of worship and school. Peter Ignatz Wenzel donated 3 acres of land for the construction of a school and a chapel. A one room school was built in December 1868 and an expanded (four room) school built in 1885. The latter school was placed on the same site as was the soon to be constructed to St. Joseph's Chapel. The school was closed in 1941 and the building dismantled in 1959. In 1905, St. Joseph's Chapel was built to allow Comal citizens to attend Mass on days following great church feast days and for funerals and baptisms. The chapel was paid for by donations from Comal Catholic farm families, and served as the center for religious education and social gathering. St. Joseph's importance to the larger Catholic community is seen through the unusually large numbers of priests and nuns that eventually originated from the families of the Comal Community. Renovation of the chapel's interior was completed in 2010.
 
Location. 29° 38.84′ N, 98° 13.145′ W. Marker is in Schertz, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway 482 and Bunker Street, on the right when traveling east on Highway 482. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6500 FM482, New Braunfels TX 78132, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (approx. 6.8 miles away); Hinmann House (approx. 6.8 miles away); New Braunfels (approx. 6.9 miles away); Comal County Courthouse (approx. 6.9 miles away); Cessna T-37 Tweet (approx. 8½ miles away); Post Chapel (approx. 8½ miles away); Missing Man Monument (approx. 8.6 miles away); Building 100 (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on February 8, 2018, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of marker in its surroundings; picture of chapel • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement