Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Development in the neighborhood
—Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood —
Development in the neighborhood got its first start in 1871 when the Board of Public Works, under the leadership of Alexander “Boss” Robey Sheperd, installed sewers, paved roads, extended gas pipes and planted trees here and throughout other neighborhoods. Speculators bought up land, and the bold began to build.
At 2000 Massachusetts Ave., note the red Victorian mansion built in 1881 by the perennial GOP presidential candidate James G. Blaine and later owned by George Westinghouse, inventor of the airbrake. At 2020 Massachusetts Ave. (left) stands the one of the most expensive private houses ever built in DC, the Thomas Walsh mansion – since 1954 the Indonesian Embassy. Walsh, a miner, struck gold in Colorado. His daughter Evalyn married into the McLean family, owners of the Washington Post; a colorful, generous lady, Evalyn is remembered as the last private owner of the Hope Diamond, now in the Smithsonian Institution.
The dignified Beaux-Arts mansion at 2009 Massachusetts Ave. was home to Nicholas Longworth, speaker of the House (1926-1931), until his death in 1931, and to his wife Alice Roosevelt Longworth until her death in 1980
Fire Fact | January 1, 1891
Box 319 sounded at 11:35 am for a fire in the residence of Hon. James G. Blaine, who had been defeated by
Fire Department information and images courtesy of Capitol Fire Museum
Artist | Jody Eric Kammer
The artist's comments have been vandalized and are unreadable.
Fire Alarm Boxes such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Telegraphs transmitted the box number (top) to a fire alarm center. This system was used until the 1970s when the boxes were converted to a telephone system. By the 1990s, the callbox system had been replaced by the 911 system and was abandoned.
Dupont Circle Art On Call The Dupont Circle Art on Call project explores neighborhood history and local fire and police events. It also celebrates our diverse political, artistic and intellectual community by presenting original artwork by 22 local artists featuring the hub of our neighborhood Dupont Circle and the beautiful fountain designed by Daniel Chester French.
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
District Department of Transportation
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 319.)
Location. 38° 54.611′ N, 77° 2.685′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Massachusetts Avenue, NW near 20th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James G. Blaine Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Lajos (Louis) Kossuth (within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Roosevelt (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lajos (Louis) Kossuth (within shouting distance of this marker); Hungarian Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); This excerpt from Walt Whitman's "The Dresser"... (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dewi Saraswati (about 300 feet away); 2019 Q Street NW (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on February 9, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on November 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 2. submitted on February 9, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.