Clinton in Sampson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Town of Clinton
In 1784 Richard Clinton deeded five acres to commissioners for use for the public buildings of the new county of Sampson. The community that flourished in this vicinity came to be known as Sampson Courthouse. The N.C. General Assembly in 1818 authorized a town to be laid out called Clinton Courthouse. By the time of Incorporation in 1822, it was known as Clinton.
Erected by Sampson County Historical Society.
Location. 34° 59.859′ N, 78° 19.435′ W. Marker is in Clinton, North Carolina, in Sampson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and North Wall Street (County Highway 1839), on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located near the southeast corner of the Sampson County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Main Street, Clinton NC 28328, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard Clinton (a few steps from this marker); Gabriel Holmes (approx. 4.3 miles away); Thomas O. Moore (approx. 7.9 miles away); Duplin Old Courthouse Site (approx. 10 miles away); James Kenan Veteranís Memorial (approx. 10.8 miles away); Samson L. Faison (approx. 13Ĺ miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Clinton, North Carolina
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of Clinton. Clinton, the county seat of Sampson County, is the largest and oldest city in the county, having been incorporated in 1822. The first European settlers to come to the Sampson County area were Scotch-Irish immigrants from North Ireland around 1740. One of the many Scotch-Irish drawn to the area in search of rich farmland and flowing rivers was John Sampson. Immigrating with John Sampson was his fifteen-year-old stepson, Richard Clinton. (Submitted on February 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. A History of Clinton, North Carolina. The name Sampson Court House did not last long, because on many maps between 1790 and 1800, the name of the town shows up as Clinton Court House, clearly indicating that the name Clinton - named after Richard Clinton, the stepson of John Sampson who the county is named after, and it was Richard Clinton who pressed the NC General Assembly for the new county - had been in use since soon after the new county was formed in 1784. (Submitted on February 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 24, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.