Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Myrtle Creek in Douglas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

History of the (grist) Wheel

 
 
History of the (grist) Wheel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
1. History of the (grist) Wheel Marker
Inscription. Used in the grist mill built in 1853-54 by Lazarus Wright. The mill was located next to the planked bridge crossing in the 'village' of Myrtle Creek near the current location of the Dairy Queen. The mill was managed by John Hall, the founder of Myrtle Creek, and Hans Weaver. Although it had changed hands several times, the mill was still in operation as recently as 1926.
The complete grist wheel was composed of two stones, referred to together as a 'run'. This is the top stone, called the 'runner'. The bottom stone, called the 'bedstone' remained stationary while the runner was turned, grinding the grain, called grist, between them. The grist was introduced through the hole in the center of the top stone. The grooves of 'furrows' in the stones served to separate the grain from its outer cover and directed the ground grain to the outside of the stone. The two stones never touched. They were kept a correct distance apart according to the type of grain to be ground. The Myrtle Creek grist mill was used to grind wheat, barley corn and oats, all of which were grown locally and, when in full production, could produce 45 barrels of flour daily. This grist wheel, made out of quartzite, probably came from Boston, traveling around Cape Horn by boat.
 
Location. 43° 1.494′ N,
History of the (grist) Wheel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
2. History of the (grist) Wheel and Marker
123° 17.418′ W. Marker is in Myrtle Creek, Oregon, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from Volunteer Way near SW 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 231 Volunteer Way, Myrtle Creek OR 97457, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Homeland of the Cow Creeks (approx. 5.7 miles away); Canyonville Applegate Trail Kiosk (approx. 6.9 miles away); Canyon Creek (approx. 9 miles away); The Mill-Pine Historic Neighborhood District (approx. 12.9 miles away); The Hebe Fountain (approx. 12.9 miles away); Courthouse Elm (approx. 13.1 miles away); Douglas County Veterans Memorial (approx. 13.1 miles away); 'The Blast' Site (approx. 13.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker and millstone are located in Millsite Park.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
History of the (grist) Wheel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
3. History of the (grist) Wheel and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement