Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wolf Creek in Josephine County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Golden

 
 
Golden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
1. Golden Marker
Inscription. Established in 1890, this mining town was unique in Western annals in that it had two churches and no saloons. The miners went to Placer off Grave Creek for "refreshments".
Rev. William Ruble, leader of a group commonly known as "Campbellites" built the church in 1852. He was ordained and the church simultaneously dedicated by County Judge Stephen Jewell. Shortly afterward it became the Free Methodist Church. Another group led by Rev. Mark Davis used the schoolhouse for their services. Both ministers worked local mining claims.

Placer activity on Coyote Creek began in the 1850's. Abandoning these claims during the Idaho gold rush of 1860, the men returned to find them being worked by about five hundred Chinese for ten cents per day plus rice. The Chinese contractor yielded possession.
A two and one-half mile pipeline supplied water for the "Giants" (hydraulic nozzles) resulting in the recovery of one and one-half million dollars in the next few years.

The Josephine County School Superintendent, Lincoln Savage, traveled by train from Grants Pass to Wolf Creek, rode his bicycle to Golden. and continued to the Greenback Mine by tramway to visit the schools.
Wilma Gilkey and Edith Allen were among the early teachers. As late as 1906, there were still thirty-six children in this school.
 
Erected by
Golden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
2. Golden Marker
Josephine County Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 40.923′ N, 123° 19.901′ W. Marker is near Wolf Creek, Oregon, in Josephine County. Marker is on Coyote Creek Road near Bear Gulch Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3482 Coyote Creek Road, Wolf Creek OR 97497, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. GOLD! (within shouting distance of this marker); The Applegate Trail (approx. 3.4 miles away); Febble, Hungry, and Haggard (approx. 3.4 miles away); Early Traveler Accommodations (approx. 3.4 miles away); Wolf Creek Tavern (approx. 3.4 miles away); Grave Creek Ranch (approx. 3.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Applegate Trail (approx. 3.9 miles away); Applegate Trail - Grave Creek (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wolf Creek.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located at Golden State Historic Site
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Community Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
3. Community Church
Community Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 27, 2017
4. Community Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 1, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement