Stone Harbor in Cape May County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pumping Station 1924
The oldest municipal building in use in Stone Harbor it was authorized by Borough Council in 1923 and erected in 1924.
The “Water Works” is a good example of Spanish Revival architecture, popular in the 1920’s. It was erected and equipped as part of a reconstruction of the original borough water system installed in 1909. Original standpipes have been replaced with more modern water towers over the years. Today’s tower is 132 feet high, holds 500,000 gallons, is supplied by four wells, and continues to deliver water to town buildings by gravity flow.
Location. 39° 3.224′ N, 74° 45.518′ W. Marker is in Stone Harbor, New Jersey, in Cape May County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 96th Street, on the right when traveling south on 2nd Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the Stone Harbor Water Works lot, east of the water tower. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 96th Street, Stone Harbor NJ 08247, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salt Marshes (approx. 0.9 miles away); U.S. Life Saving Station No.35 (Tatham Life Saving Station) (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1883 Original Terminus Anglesea Railroad Hotel Anglesea (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hereford Inlet Lighthouse (approx. 3.7 miles away); All Shapes, Sizes and Materials (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hereford Inlet Lightouse (approx. 3.7 miles away); Veterans Plaza (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stone Harbor.
Also see . . . About Stone Harbor, New Jersey.
In 1909, a sewage system was developed and completed. Thirty miles of sewage lines are now in operation. The first artesian well was driven to a depth of 856 feet to reach the famous “Kirkwood Sands” from whence our supply of pure water is obtained. Our pumping station at 96th Street and 2nd Avenue was built in 1924. A new well, our fourth, was drilled in 1981. We are now supplying a total of 200,000,000 gallons of water each year to meet the demands of our population. (Submitted on March 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.