College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
City of College Park
The McDonnell House was built in 1896 by Henry B. McDonnell as a 2½-story, cross-gabled frame house with wraparound porch, ornamental gable shingles and slate roof. It is a good example of simplified Queen Anne-style domestic architecture. A former carriage house and a chicken coop still exist on the expansive lot along with pecan, walnut and chestnut trees. Mr. McDonnell, a professor of Agricultural Chemistry at the Maryland Agricultural College (1981-1939), was the first Dean of Arts and Sciences for the University of Maryland and also served as the first chief of the College Park Volunteer Fire Department (1925-1936). The house remained in the McDonnell family until 1978.
Chief McDonnell tests out the hose of a 1929 Chevrolet fire truck on the roof of his own carriage house. Because of its small size and weight, the truck was particularly useful for fighting brush fires, which accounted for a high percentage of the fire department's calls at the time.
Erected by Anacostia Trails Heritage Area.
Location. 38° 58.762′ N, 76° 55.85′ W. Marker is in College Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7400 Dartmouth Avenue, College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Parish House (a few steps from this marker); Cory House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trolley Trail (about 500 feet away); Taliaferro House (about 500 feet away); Harrison Store/Trolley Stop Sweet Shop (about 600 feet away); City of College Park (about 700 feet away); Holbrook House (about 800 feet away); Army Aviation School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.