Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Spanish colonization of California began in 1769 with the expedition of Don Gaspar de Portolá from Mexico. With Captain Don Fernando Rivera y Moncada, Lieutenant Don Pedro Fages, Sgt. José Francisco Ortega, and Fathers Juan Crespí and Francisco Gómez, he and his party camped near this spot on August 2, 1769, en route to Monterey.
Erected 1958 by California State Park Commission, in Cooperation with Los Angles Recreation and Park Commission, and California Parlor #247 Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 655.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 4.318′ N, 118° 13.638′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Elysian Park Drive and North Broadway, on the left when traveling north on Elysian Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mother Ditch and The History Slugs (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Antonio Winery (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Jewish Site in Los Angeles Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Center (approx. 0.9 miles away); Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Avila Adobe (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jones Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Machine Shop (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
More about this marker. Marker is on a large rock, just inside the Elysian Park entrance.
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2012, by Konrad R Summers of Santa Clarita, California. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on March 18, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2012, by Konrad R Summers of Santa Clarita, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.