Newport in Newport County, Rhode Island — The American Northeast (New England)
Newport Casino / International Tennis Hall of Fame
You are standing at the entrance to the Newport Casino, a National Historic Landmark that now houses the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
The Casino was built in 1880 as a social club for Newport's wealthy summer residents. The name of the property, The Casino, is not indicative of gambling. Actually, it was derived from the Italian casina or "little house." The Newport Casino was designed by McKim, Mead & White and represented the first work by the famous trio. It is one of the finest examples of American Shingle Style Architecture.
In 1881, the Newport Casino hosted the first men's United States National Lawn Tennis Association tournament. In 1915 that tournament was moved to New York, and we now know this tournament as the US Open. Today the site remains a highly active tennis facility, with courts open to the public daily and as the host facility of the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, the only ATP World Tour event in New England.
Jimmy Van Alen founded the Hall of Fame this property in 1954. Today, just over 240 great champions and leaders from 21 nations have come to Newport to receive tennis' highest honor – induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Please come in to tour the grounds and visit our museum.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located at the International Tennis Hall of Fame main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 194 Bellevue Avenue, Newport RI 02840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Isaac Bell House & Its Neighbors: Progressive Architecture (approx. ¼ mile away); Old St. Mary’s Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Jonathan Gibbs House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alexander Jack Jr. House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel Bours House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Elms & Its Neighbors: The Battle for Historic Preservation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cap't George Buckmaster House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Buffum-Redwood House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
More about this marker. Marker is mounted at eye level, directly on the subject building, on the right side of main entrance.
Regarding Newport Casino / International Tennis Hall of Fame. National Historic Landmark (1987)
Also see . . .
1. The Newport Casino.
Despite what its name implies, the Newport Casino is not, and never was, (Submitted on March 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Newport Casino.
Built in 1880, it was designated a National Historic Landmark on February 27, 1987, in recognition for its architectural significance as one of the nation's finest Shingle style buildings, and for its importance in the history of tennis in the United States. The complex now houses the International Tennis Hall of Fame, and was the site of the earliest US Opens. (Submitted on March 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. James "Jimmy" Van Alen & the "tiebreaker".
The architect of that game-changing invention, the "tiebreaker," was James Van Alen, whose keen foresight and vision also led him to become the founder of the National Lawn Tennis Hall of Fame in 1954 in his hometown of Newport, Rhode Island. Van Alen was a tireless promoter of his scoring (Submitted on March 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Entertainment • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6, 7. submitted on April 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 8. submitted on March 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 9. submitted on March 22, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.