Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delphi in Carroll County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Delphi

 
 
Delphi Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, May 29, 2007
1. Delphi Marker
Inscription. Named and platted in 1828 by Gen. Samuel Milroy, on 100 acres donated by Wm. Wilson for the seat of Carroll Co., named for Charles Carroll, last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence. Henry Robinson was the first settler. Transportation provided by Wabash & Erie Canal in 1840, Wabash RR in 1856, Monon in 1882. City first chartered in 1866. Products now include furniture, lime, plumbing fixtures and truck bodies.
 
Erected 1973 by Delphi Lions Club & Carroll County Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
 
Location. 40° 35.164′ N, 86° 40.463′ W. Marker is in Delphi, Indiana, in Carroll County. Marker is on U.S. 421. Touch for map. The marker is located between South Market and South Washington Streets, on Main Street (IN 25 and US 421) in front of the Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: Courthouse Square, Delphi IN 46923, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Memorial - Carroll County Indiana (a few steps from this marker); Spanish American War Veterans Gave Their Cannon
Delphi Marker and Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, May 29, 2007
2. Delphi Marker and Courthouse
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wabash and Erie Canal (approx. half a mile away); Samuel Milroy (approx. one mile away); Site of Cabin Home Gen. Samuel Milroy (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delphi.
 
Also see . . .  The Wabash and Erie Canal. (Submitted on June 13, 2007.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Passenger Train Service Through Delphi
In the 20th century Wabash trains between St. Louis and Toledo passed through Delphi on an east-west line. The Monon line ran north-south between Chicago and Indianapolis. The Wabash and the Monon railroad stations were adjacent to each other. In the 1940s and 50s Mononís The Hoosier, an afternoon train, and the Mid-Night Special overnight train stopped at Delphi en route to Chicago or Indianapolis. On the Wabash, trains No. 1, The St. Louis Special, and No. 4, The Detroit Special, were day trains, stopping in Delphi in the early afternoon. Early morning local trains ran as far as Peru to the east and Tilton
Civil War Memorial on Courthouse Square (SE corner) image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, May 29, 2007
3. Civil War Memorial on Courthouse Square (SE corner)
to the west. The overnight Detroit and St. Louis Limiteds did not stop at Delphi.
    — Submitted June 13, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.

 
Additional keywords. Chicago Indianapolis and Louisville Railway (The Monon Route)
 
Categories. Patriots & PatriotismRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Downtown Delphi image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, May 29, 2007
4. Downtown Delphi
Southside of Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, May 29, 2007
5. Southside of Main Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,560 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 13, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement