Tylertown in Walthall County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Conerly's P.O. and Lampton's Store
In June 1848, Benjamin Lampton and his brother-in-law Cullen Conerly established a post office here in Lampton's mercantile business. Situated on Dry Creek between Conerly's Mill and Tyler's Mill, the store and post office served as the social center of the community for more than a half century. Conerly's became Tylertown in 1879.
Erected 1995 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 31° 7.133′ N, 90° 8.339′ W. Marker is in Tylertown, Mississippi, in Walthall County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Bilbo Street, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tylertown MS 39667, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walthall County Training School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Simmons House (approx. 4.1 miles away); China Grove Methodist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Creation of Pike County (approx. 11.6 miles away); War of 1812, Pike County (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2018.