Menard in Menard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Welcome to Menard, Texas / The Old Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Welcome to Menard, Texas
This scenic Central Texas town of 1,600 souls was established in 1858 along the banks of the San Saba River and has thrived modestly through the decades as a center of farming and ranching industry. It is nestled in a pretty, pecan-fringed valley cutting across the Edwards Plateau in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. A century before Menard was founded, there was a Spanish colony here, and for thousands of years before this colony existed, the San Saba region was home to hundreds of generations of Indians. Menard has been the scene of some very dramatic events in the history of Texas. Though the main purpose of these exhibits is to introduce you to the fascinating remnants of the Spanish colony that existed in this area from 1757 to about 1770, we will briefly mention other facets of Menardís past as we move from one point of interest to another.
The foremost features of the Spanish colony founded at Menard were the Real Presidio de San Saba (Royal Fort) and Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba (Holy Cross Mission). Such facilities were typical of Spanish colonies, the presidio housing soldiers who protected the Catholic priests residing in the mission, along with neophytes (newly-converted Indians). Through their mission, the Franciscan priests hoped
The San Saba River
Contributed by Patty Miller
From ancient times, Native Americans left their footprints here on the banks of the San Saba River: Comanches, Tonkawas, Caddows, and many others. The predominant tribes, however, were Lipan Apaches. They called this beautiful place “Summerville.”
As early Spanish explorers came to the San Saba, the cited huge amounts of precious ore in their reports sent to Spain. By 1757, Spanish priests and soldiers had arrived, construction a church mission, military presidio, and irrigation canal on the river. Their ambitious venture would be short lived, however, with the priests massacred and the mission burned by tribes unfriendly to the Spanish and Apaches, in 1758. The embattled presidio was abandoned in just over a decade.
Nevertheless, in the 1800ís, the legends of Spanish gold and Apache silver
Throughout the ages, other miners came to the river with passionate expectations, leaving with only disillusion and empty pockets. Most of their names and tragic dreams were lost in the winds of time, while a few, in the early 1900ís, such as partners Comanche Indian Princess Martha Weonah and Judge Julius Romulus Norton became renown, immortalized in “A Song of Silver,” the townís musical of the late 1900ís and early 21st century.
The Old Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Prior to 1898, the Catholics in Menard celebrated Mass only a few times a year in someoneís home, when they were lucky enough to be on the route of a traveling priest. In 1898, Father Baudrillard visited Menard and discussed the possibility of building a church on property donated in 1870 by J.J. Callan.
The Church was built in 1899 and it is the oldest organized Catholic Church in the San Angelo diocese. The rock to build the church was quarried from a stratum of limestone four to five miles northeast of town. It was dug by hand
The Sacred Heart Church was a mission church for 40 years after its construction, cared for by priests from San Angelo and Mason. In 1905 the Oblates of Mary Immaculate from San Antonio accepted care of the territory and Father Fred Fassbender was the first Oblate priest. He was succeeded by Father V.X. Ganon in 1919 who was also instrumental in the building of a frame school in North Menard. The school was staffed for about four years by the Sisters of Mercy from Stanton.
Use of this building was discontinued in 1955 because it had become too small for the growing congregation. Consequently the church is commonly referred to by the people of Menard as “The Old Catholic Church.” Services are now held at the “New Sacred Heart Church” located on Highway 83 at 9:00 a.m. every Sunday.
Location. 30° 54.978′ N, 99° 47.136′ W. Marker is in Menard, Texas, in Menard County. Marker is at the intersection of Canal Street and Beavans Street, on the left when traveling east on Canal Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Menard TX 76859, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sacred Heart Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); Founding of the Santa Cruz de San Saba Mission (a few steps from this marker); The Lafora Map / An Apache Encampment (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Ditch" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort McKavett C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (about 500 feet away); Menard County Memorial of Those Who Died (about 600 feet away); Great Western Trail (about 600 feet away); Oliver Prince Smith (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Menard.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.