William Morris House
William Morris married his second wife, Patsy Hillian, on October 5, 1831. The couple had a son in 1835 when Morris was 74 years old.
William Morris, a Revolutionary War veteran, came to Montgomery County in 1806, He bought a 20-acre farm near Centerville in 1815 and moved into this house with his family. With no daughters in the family, they employed an African American female servant to help with the many domestic chores, a common practice at the time.
Historically, the first floor was divided into three rooms. he stone floor was originally made of wood planks with a root cellar below. Carillon Park created the opening in the ceiling in 1953 to allow a view of the second floor and roof construction.
Built circa 1815 on West Social Row near Centerville, Ohio.
Erected by Warren E. and Thelma L. Snyder.
Location. 39° 43.707′ N, 84° 12.017′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Blvd east of Arbor Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in Carillon Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton OH 45439, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 6, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.