In late February 1961, the LSU Board of Supervisors chose a name for the first new permanent building to be constructed on the campus, selecting Oakland Hall in honor of Oakland Plantation, the land on which the campus was located.
Construction began on the new building that semester and established a historical landmark. Oakland Hall was the first building in Louisiana constructed using the "lift slab post tension" method. All floors and the roof were constructed of concrete poured and cured at ground level before any of them were lifted into place. The roof, which was raised first, was elevated by using jacks placed on top of pre-stressed concrete columns already constructed. Gables were connected from the jacks to pieces of metal imbedded in the concrete, and the roof
and floors of the building were carefully maneuvered into place.
Location. 31° 10.675′ N, 92° 24.986′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker can be reached from Middleton Road east of West Campus Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria LA 71302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Headquarters 1st Calvary Division, Army of West La., May 8, 1864 (about 700
More about this marker. Located on the LSU-Alexndria (LSUA) Campus
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2018.