Knickerbocker in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1895, at the insistence of Dr. Boyd Cornick (1856-1933), a county school was built primarily for children of Mexican descent. This school was substantially remodeled in the 1930s. The two schools operated separately until 1948 when they were combined.
Following the consolidation of area rural schools in 1960, children from the Knickerbocker area traveled by bus to school in Christoval. The red brick Knickerbocker school building became a post office and community center in 1989.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2964.)
Location. 31° 16.25′ N, 100° 37.436′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Knickerbocker TX 76939, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Knickerbocker (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christoval (approx. 9.2 miles away); Christoval United Methodist Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); Confederate Reunion Grounds (approx. 9.3 miles away); Christoval Baptist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 9.4 miles away); Sherwood Courthouse (approx. 10.1 miles away); Irion County (approx. 11.2 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.