Pilot Hill in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
California’s First Grange Hall
Erected 1956 by Pilot Hill Grange No.1 in cooperation with the California State Park Commission, Plaque placed and rededicated November 23, 1982. (Marker Number 551.)
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 38° 50.601′ N, 121° 0.914′ W. Marker was in Pilot Hill, California, in El Dorado County. Marker was on State Highway 49, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Pilot Hill CA 95664, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Bloomers Cut (approx. 4.4 miles away); Placer County Museum (approx. 4.5 miles away); Location of Camp Flint (approx. 4.5 miles away); Camp Flint (approx. 4.5 miles away); Western States Endurance Run Finish Line (approx. 4.5 miles away); Travelers’ Rest (Bernhard Complex) (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Historic Cooper Amphitheater (approx. 4.8 miles away); Gietzen Fire Station (approx. 4.8 miles away).
More about this marker.
Regarding California’s First Grange Hall. From a California Grange Press Release Dated September 12, 2007
COOL, CALIFORNIA, September 12, 2007 --- Protected from the years, the collection of scrapbooks, proclamations, satin prize ribbons, and instruments of ritual and regalia pose behind the glass, mementos and relics of the past, and from a time when life was simpler, work was harder, and community meant everything.
The keys can’t be found. The locks must be picked to access the contents inside the old wooden display cases.
“It’s been quite a few years since we’ve opened these,” explains Joe White,
Master of the historic Pilot Hill Grange #1, the first in California, established in August, 1870. James Marshall was a founding member, following years of notoriety as the man who discovered gold at Coloma in 1848.
The Grange was moved from its original location to Cool but still maintains the name Pilot Hill Grange #1. A stone monument with a bronze plaque commemorates the original site, as California Historical Landmark #551.
The Pilot Hill Grange #1 was founded at a time when riches in the gold fields were running out and prospectors were turning in picks and shovels for plows and seed. Granges rose up
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Landmarks • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,785 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 20, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 2. submitted on August 6, 2014, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. 3, 4. submitted on September 20, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.