San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tom Green County
Created a County March 13, 1874
Organized January 5, 1875
Named in honor of
General Thomas Green, 1814–1864
A veteran of San Jacinto
Member of the
A Confederate Officer
First mail routes to the Pacific converged here in 1858
County seat, Ben Ficklin, 1875
San Angelo, since 1882
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 31° 24.308′ N, 100° 26.364′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on S. Bryant Boulevard Frontage 0.1 miles east of Ben Ficklin Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Angelo TX 76904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Ben Ficklin, C.S.A. (a few steps from this marker); Ben Ficklin Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Ben Ficklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chaplain, Major General Robert Preston Taylor (approx. 2.2 miles away); TB-25N Mitchell (approx. 2.2 miles away); Charles B. Metcalfe (approx. 2.3 miles away); BT-13A Valiant (approx. 2.4 miles away); RQ-1K Predator (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . . Tom Green County. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on April 10, 2018.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.