Riverside Addition: World War II Housing in Orange
The second World War catapulted Orange into a period of unparalleled industrial growth. In 1940, as the nation prepared for possible entry into the war, the U.S. Navy Office of Shipbuilding placed orders with three shipyards: Levingston Shipbuilding Company, Consolidated Western Steel Corporation and Weaver Shipyards. Production continued to grow after the U.S. entered the war in 1941. Countless jobs had been lost during the Great Depression, and the potential for steady work brought thousands to Orange. The influx of workers increased the city’s population from 7,400 in 1940 to more than 60,000 by the end of the war.
To meet the resulting critical housing shortage, the federal government started the Riverside Addition Housing Project in 1942. Located along the Sabine River, Riverside Addition was within walking distance of the shipyards, thereby complying with fuel and tire rationing demands and maximizing wartime production. The fan-shaped site soon included thousands of “demountable” (prefabricated) duplexes, considered to be temporary. Expanded with an addition in 1943, the vast Riverside housing area had three elementary schools and also spawned local businesses.
At the time, Riverside Addition was the largest federal housing project ever undertaken. After the war, the government sold, moved or demolished
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13970.)
Location. 30° 5.661′ N, 93° 43.575′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Simmons Drive (Business U.S. 90) near West Elm Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weaver Shipbuilding (here, next to this marker); U.S.S. Aulick (here, next to this marker); Levingston Shipbuilding Company (here, next to this marker); United States Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility (here, next to this marker); Office of the Supervisor of Shipbuilding and Consolidated Steel Corporation (here, next to this marker); The Orange Leader (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Harmon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2018.