Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
U.S. Post Oﬃce and Courthouse
This marble-fronted edifice has been the town’s Post Office since February 14, 1935. The mansion of Dr. William J. Beattie (1865-1913), a founder of Littleton Hospital, had occupied the site before the construction of this Georgian Revival masterpiece began in 1933. The town was home to one of two federal courts in the state, and Judge of the First U.S. District Court, George F. Morris (1866-1953), insisted on elegant details in this federal project. For nearly 40 years, U.S. court was held where the local district now resides, in a building that subtly unites a century of Main Street motifs; soaring spires, masterful masonry and proud colonnades.
Location. 44° 18.437′ N, 71° 46.511′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 302) east of Maple Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the front wall of the subject building. Marker is mounted just right of the main entrance doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); The Littleton Diner (within A Legendary Landmark (within shouting distance of this marker); Host to History (within shouting distance of this marker); Thayer's White Mountain Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Parker's Marketplace (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Littleton Public Library (about 400 feet away); Bugbee Block (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Regarding U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places (1986)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . . US Post Office and Courthouse - Littleton Main.
The three story masonry building is an imposing presence on Main Street. It is built out of variegated brick laid in English bond, and trimmed with white marble. Its Colonial Revival facade has a central projecting section that frames a recessed entranceway on the ground floor, and a full Doric temple front on the upper two floors. It served historically as a post office, and as a courthouse of the United (Submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.