Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
A Legendary Landmark
When “Daddy” Thayer’s Hotel opened on January 14, 1850, its intended patrons were rail-borne travelers. In 1853, train service began, and Thayer’s ornate coach met this new breed of guests at the station. When tourism boomed, the Hotel was hub to many coach lines and a vaunted landmark for visiting dignitaries. Thayer’s White Mountain Hotel pass through the Grand Hotel era, became Thayer’s Hotel by 1900 and entered the automobile age. New trends in leisure and the onset of prohibition called for ingenuity and in 1928, motion picture impresario John B. “Jack” Eames (1891-1951) acquired sole ownership of Thayer’s, updated its amenities and preserved its historic charm. The elegance of the hand carved scroll work on the front of Thayer’s and the spiral staircase so impressed Henry Ford that he tried, without success, to buy them for his Dearborn Museum. An interesting note is that General Sylvanus Thayer “The Father of West Point” was related to “Daddy” Thayer. Their forefathers arrived in Massachusetts from England c. 1635. Thayer’s apostrophe was dropped in the 1930s. The property was sold in 1969. After a succession of owners, the Hotel was repurchased in 1984 by the Eames Family and renamed to Theyers Inn. In 1985, Don and Carolyn Lambert were appointed as innkeepers,
Location. 44° 18.416′ N, 71° 46.468′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 302) east of Ammonoosuc Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the front wall of the subject building. Marker is mounted just to the right of the main front entrance doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Host to History (here, next to this marker); Thayer's White Mountain Hotel (here, next to this marker); Parker's Marketplace (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Bugbee Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Littleton Diner (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Regarding A Legendary Landmark. National Register of Historic Places (1982)
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Also see . . . Henry L. "Daddy" Thayer.
In the early 1840’s Henry L. Thayer was a successful Littleton, New Hampshire merchant with a dream to build a hotel more modern in equipment and character that others of its kind. Despite warnings of failure, the dream started taking shape in 1843 when he purchased the lot just east of his store. Although the exact year construction began is unknown, sources indicate January 14, 1850 as opening day for "Thayer's White Mountain Hotel." Success was soon established due in part to the coming of the railroads to Littleton in 1852. (Submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.