Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Black Education in Orange County
Schools for Orange County’s black children were held in churches and private homes as early as the 1870s. In 1887 a black school was opened in the Duncan Woods community, and another was soon established in Orange. Known as Orange Colored School, it was renamed in 1930 in honor of educator Robert Russa Moton and again in 1946 for longtime principal Emma H. Wallace. Another elementary school was located near Rebeck Crossing in the northern part of the city, and by 1960 Franklin Elementary and North Junior High were in operation.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11471.)
Location. 30° 6.05′ N, 93° 44.061′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West John Avenue east of Fifth Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 West John Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Salem United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cox House (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Black Education in Orange County The Woman's Club of Orange (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hollywood Community Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (approx. 0.4 miles away); Emma Henderson Wallace (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2018.