Lake Charles in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Louisiana Baptist Orphanage
Area congregations constructed a two-story orphanage in 1899 that housed up to 150 children at a time. This location was selected for the wholesome, rural character of the setting. The landmark structure was so identified with this part of the community, that the entire area came to be known as Baptist Meadows. In 1925, the orphanage closed. The building and grounds were purchased by Mrs. J. A. Landry, who donated the site to the Christian Brothers for a Catholic boys' high school. In 1927, Landry Memorial High was opened. The original orphanage building had been demolished as obsolete by the time Landry was merged with St Charles Academy and Sacred Heart High in 1970 to form St Louis Catholic High School.
Erected by Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society.
Location. 30° 13.132′ N, 93° 12.446′ W. Marker is in Lake Charles, Louisiana, in Calcasieu Parish. Marker is on Seventh Street south of Bank Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Charles LA 70601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Killen Field (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lake Charles High School Kilties (approx. 0.6 miles Lost Railroad Stations (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Charles Academy (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Arcade Theatre and Miller Building, the Paramount and the Weber Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Goldband Studio (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ball's Auditorium (approx. 1.7 miles away); LaGrange High School (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Charles.
More about this marker. Part of the "Lost Landmarks" series.
Also see . . . Lost Landmarks of Lake Charles. (Submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2018.