Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

History of Rotary International

 
 
History of Rotary International Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
1. History of Rotary International Marker
Inscription.
The world's first service club, the Rotary Club of Chicago, Illinois, USA, was formed on 23 February 1905 by Paul P. Harris, an attorney who wished to recapture in a professional club the same friendly spirit he had felt in the small towns of his youth. The name "Rotary" derived from the early practice of rotating meetings among members' offices.

Rotary's popularity spread throughout the United States in the decade that followed; clubs were chartered from San Francisco to New York. By 1921, Rotary clubs had been formed on six continents, and the organization adopted the name Rotary International a year later.

As Rotary grew, its mission expanded beyond serving the professional and social interests of club members. Rotarians began pooling their resources and contributing their talents to help serve communities in need. The organization's dedication to this ideal is best expressed in its principal motto: Service Above Self. Rotary also later embraced a code of ethics, called The 4-Way Test, that has been translated into hundreds of languages.

During and after World War II, Rotarians became increasingly involved in promoting international understanding. In 1945, 49 Rotary members served in 29 delegations to the United Nations Charter Conference. Rotary still actively participates in UN conferences by sending observers to major

History of Rotary International Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
2. History of Rotary International Marker
meetings, and promoting the United Nations in Rotary publications. Rotary International's relationship with the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) dates back to a 1943 London Rotary conference that promoted international cultural and educational exchanges. Attended by ministers of education and observers from around the world, and chaired by a past president of RI, the conference was an impetus to the establishment of UNESCO in 1946.

An endowment fund, set up by Rotarians in 1917 "for doing good in the world," became a not-for-profit corporation known as The Rotary Foundation in 1928. Upon the death of Paul Harris in 1947, an outpouring of Rotarian donations made in his honor, totaling US$2 million, launched the Foundation's first program - graduate fellowships, now called Ambassadorial Scholarships. Today, contributions to The Rotary Foundation total more than US$80 million annually and support a wide range of humanitarian grants and educational programs that enable Rotarians to bring hope and promote international understanding throughout the world.

In 1985, Rotary made a historic commitment to immunize all of the world's children against polio. Working in partnership with nongovernmental organizations and national governments through its PolioPlus program, Rotary is the largest private - sector contributor to the global polio eradication campaign. Rotarians have mobilized hundreds of thousands of Polio Plus volunteers and have immunized more than one billion children worldwide. By the 2005 target date for certification of a polio-free world, Rotary will have contributed half a billion dollars to the cause.

As it approached the dawn of the 21st century, Rotary worked to meet the changing needs of society, expanding its service effort to address such pressing issues as environmental degradation, illiteracy, world hunger, and children at risk. The organization admitted women for the first time (worldwide) in 1989 and claims more than 145,000 women in its ranks today. Following the collapse of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Rotary clubs were formed or re- established throughout Central and Eastern Europe. Today, 1.2 million Rotarians belong to some 31,000 Rotary clubs in 166 countries.
 
Erected 2005.
 
Location. 30° 5.559′ N, 93° 44.172′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Seventh Street near West Green Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 7th St, Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (here, next to this marker); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (here, next to this marker); Henry Jacob Lutcher (here, next to this marker); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (within shouting distance of this marker); Ever Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); W.H. Stark House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Henry Stark (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church of Orange (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
More about this marker. Located in Stark Park.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2018.
Paid Advertisement